I really enjoy Carol’s other Ratatouille recipe so I thought I would give this one a I try, which differs in that it has kidney beans- which makes it more fulling and adds more texture. I really love ratatouilles as they’re filling, packed full of yummy vegetables and they’re good for you! The peppers contain vitamin C, the aubergine contains nasuin, the tomatoes contain lycopene, the onions contain quercetin and the red kidney beans contain soluble fibre, protein and iron. This dish is suitable for vegetarians and vegans and is wheat free, gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. This recipe is from Carol Vorderman‘s cookbook Detox Recipes.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Red, yellow and green pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 courgettes, trimmed and sliced
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 700g tomatoes, skinned and chopped (or use 400g tinned tomatoes)
- 420g tinned red kidney beans, drained
- 175g green beans, trimmed and halved
- Low sodium salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the chopped onion and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, courgettes, aubergines, tomatoes, red kidney beans and green beans. Stir then cover and cook over a low heat for 20-25 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
Season to taste then stir in the fresh herbs.