This is really yummy, comforting, goes down easily and is really good for you! The red kidney beans are rich in protein, soluble fibre, zinc and iron and they also provide slow release energy. The vegetables add additional fibre, the peppers are rich in vitamin C and the tinned tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene. This recipe is from Carol Vorderman‘s cookbook “Detox Recipes” and is suitable for vegans, vegetarians, people following a detox and is wheat free, sugar free and gluten free.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery sticks sliced (I didn’t include the celery because I don’t like it!)
- 175ml water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1-2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 X 400g tins red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Combine the onion, pepper, celery, water and garlic in a large saucepan. Cook over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender (about 6-8 minutes).
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon, parsley, chilli powder and cumin and stir well. Stir in the beans, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.