This is really yummy hearty dish that’s full of goodness and I love the texture of the chickpeas. The chickpeas are an excellent source of fibre, protein and iron and they contain fructo-oligosaccharides which is a type of fibre that maintains a healthy gut flora and increase the friendly bacteria in the gut. This recipe is wheat free, gluten free, sugar free and dairy free and is suitable for vegetarians, vegans and those following a detox. This recipe is from Carol Vorderman’s “Detox Recipes”.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 X 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 courgettes, trimmed and sliced
- 125g fine green beans, trimmed and halved
- Low sodium salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions, garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes until the onions have softened.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, courgettes, and green beans. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
Stir in the coriander just before serving.