This is pretty succulent and tasty. The tomatoes taste absolutely heavenly, the mushrooms taste pretty great too. I like that this isn’t too heavy and you’re getting loads of vegetables. As the vegetables are ownly cooked briefly over a high heat they retain most of their nutrients. This recipe is wheat free, gluten free, sugar free and dairy free and is suitable for vegetarians, vegans and those following a detox.
Makes 4 servings
- 350g firm tofu
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 courgettes, cut into bite sized pieces
- Half an aubergine, cut into bite sized pieces
- 16 button mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons water
Cut the tofu into 12 cubes. Put in a shallow dish along with the prepared vegetables.
To make the marinade mix the olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, honey garlic and water together.
Spoon the marinade over the tofu and vegetables making sure they are thoroughly coated. Leave for at least an hour, turning occasionally.
Thread the tofu and vegetable onto 8 bamboo skewers. Brush with the remaining marinade and put under a hot grill or on a barbecue for about 10 minutes, turning frequently and brushing with marinade until slightly browned.
Serve hot with salad leaves.