This is a really interesting and informative book from world famous actor who brought us The Body Book. This book explores what you can expect and prepare yourself for as you age and how to take the best care of yourself, physically and emotionally. It’s really great that Cameron celebrates the ageing process especially from someone who is in such a youth obsessed industry.
These are the main points that I took from the book that I’m going to try and include into my life:
- It’s important to have good food, exercise, sleep, to laugh, relax, be with people and find joy in the world. These points are repeated throughout the book.
- To help your brain, body and mood you need physical activity, nutritious food, time for rest, learning, stress relief and social connections.
- It’s important to have close friendships. Avoiding getting angry and trying a mediterranean diet are beneficial
- To get an adequate amount of vitamin D get 15 minutes of unprotected (no spf) time in the sun a day.
- Eat protein at every meal.
- To get on the right sleep cycle you need light during the day and darkness as night. When you wake up, open the curtains then go for a 10 minute walk to get some sunlight and get your blood flowing. In the evenings reduce blue light exposure, stop being on a computer/mobile at least 1 hour before bed.
- Lactobacillus probiotic can help improve mood and resilience to stress. Take more probiotics if/when you’re on antibiotics.
- Avoid processed and packaged foods, they have a negative effect on the microbes in your gut due to anti microbial preservatives.
- Lower stress by walking in nature, taking part in meditation, yoga, have a massage, use lavender aromatherapy oils and laugh.
- Playing music and listening to music is good for your brain.
- Other things that are good for your brain are learning, moving, reading, resting, new experiences, yoga/relaxation/meditation.
- People who volunteer live for longer.
- Having positive relationships and a purpose in life lowers inflammatory markers.
- Social interaction improves cognitive performance.